Wednesday 15 January 2014

Who inspires you?


This is a hard question to answer, and generally I don't answer it when asked. But for the purpose of reflection, and since lately I have been doing a lot of interviews, where this question keeps rearing its ugly head.......My answer is; 

Those that inspire me right now are those men and women who have built a successful business doing something that helps others grow. (a bit long winded I know) but hear me out......People who have struggled against the odds, and who have never stopped or been held back....... it is those people like  Richard Branson that I am inspired by. It is these self made successes which I can relate to, with their sheer determination and conviction  in an idea to make it succeed, or the fore thought to seize an opportunity when it presents.  

I am a creative person, and I do like business and I think I could go as far as to say I have a good acumen for it.  But it is not my passion.......especially when someone starts quoting figures.....well I am out of the door, before you can shake your calculator at me.  I have been self employed all my working life, and would not have it any other way, having owned a few different businesses...but each one reaches a stage of success..... and then I don't have the skills to take it further, or if I am honest the courage.  I have learnt not to have an emotional attachment to your business in order to make the tough decisions, and utilise the skills of those around you. you can not do it alone. it is my brain, my ideas and an essence of 'luck' which will bring success, but in order to execute it, I need to surround my self with people who have the skills to make those ideas a reality. 

Too many people confuse running a business with being talented at something, and providing a product or service.  For example, just because your good at nails or beauty does not mean you are going to be good at building your business...there is a difference... both need a level of learning to back them up.  So being a business woman, and being good at what you do to make money are two very different things. Almost daily I feel I am trying to juggle this dichotomy.  




No comments: