Sunday 13 March 2011

Dear Diary - Cornish skills

On the 16th February I was invited to help Judge at the Cornish skills challenge  in Truro college. This would be the third time I have been part of the judging panel, and I am always keen to be involved. It is so refreshing to watch the new generation of nail technicians, these girls are part of the future of the industry, and I feel it is important to help and support them.
I watch on and see budding nail guru’s and artisans emerge, and I remember what I was like. I didn’t do my learning in a college but I was still very wet behind the ears when I entered my first competition. Full of expectations and aspirations to be the best. Lucky for me I was, and won my first photographic and came second in the fantasy!

 I have been involved with the College skills championships for some years now, and I can say hand on heart the level of competitors has grown. With the help of the world wide web, short films on you tube like my fantasy ballerina; nail technicians are able to learn in the comfort of their own home. Some people tell me it is the downfall of education, creating a new culture of e learning, but I think it promotes independent learning, it helps to create a new breed of nail technicians who can only rely on their own creativity to find a solutions.

Don’t get me wrong you can’t beat going to a workshop, and I think you should make it part of your continueing learning to include at least two further education classes per year into your portfolio. But to combine this with the indepependant learning and self styled creative moments can only go to make this industry bigger, better and stronger. 

No comments: